Last updated: March 31st, 2020 at 11:48 am
The most recommended utility by every organization or large enterprises for saving their important data is Microsoft Exchange Server. But when Exchange Admin and user are unable to access the Exchange account, they can simply try the method of converting EDB file to PST. This technique can help users to access the Exchange Database with MS Outlook.
Now the question is “how can we convert EDB to PST free” or “is any free method is available to perform conversion of EDB file to PST Outlook”.
So with this blog we will discuss about the free method to convert EDB to PST.
Short Description of EDB and PST file:-
EDB File Format:- Exchange Database (EDB) is the file type where all of the mailbox items are stored through Exchange Server. All Exchange Mailbox components are exists in this EDB file which helps user as a back-up of their important database. It including- E-mails, Attachments, Journals, Tasks, Notes, Calendars, etc.
PST File Format:- Personal Storage Table (PST) is the file Extension where a copy of all MS Outlook account database and mailboxes are stored in user computer. With this PST file type Outlook user get the benefit of storing a copy of their important Emails, tasks, journals, appointments, tasks, journals, and other items.
Reasons to convert EDB to PST
Many of problems can be the basic reasons of making conversion of EDB file some of them are listed below:-
- The conversion of EDB to PST will be the best method to reduce corruption in EDB file.
- By converting EDB to PST user can easily get back the lost database from corrupt EDB
- User can reduce the size of Exchange mailboxes by export them to PST
- EDB file are large in size and for transferring Exchange Mailboxes user can convert EDB to PST
Free method to convert EDB to PST:-Method 1:
Convert EDB to PST PowerShellMethod 2:
Convert EDB to PST with eSoftTools
PowerShell or Exchange Management Shell (EMS) is a free program which is provided by the brand Microsoft to check the status of Exchange Server with command-line interface. The basic use of this utility is to check the mailbox status and connect or disconnect the Exchange Database but the user also can utilize this program to Export Exchange Mailbox to PST. It is able to convert EDB to PST and workable with Exchange Server versions including 2007, 2010, and 2013.
Requirements to use Powershell to Export EDB to PST
- The user must have Exchange administration rights to use Powershell for Exporting task of EDB mailbox to PST.
- The saving location of PST file has to be shared.
The command lists of Exchange server versions to convert EDB to PST are listed below:
- To Export Exchange 2007 to PST: Use Export-Mailbox
- For Exchange 2010 to PST: Use ExportMailboxRequests
- And For Exchange 2013 and 2016 to PST: Use New-MailboxExportRequest command
Steps to convert EDB to PST using PowerShell for Exchange Server 2007/2010/2013
Step 1: Run the given PowerShell command to get the list of all mailboxes:
Get-MailboxStatistics -Database <DatabaseName>
Step 2: Run the given command to simply export EDB file to a PST
Export-Mailbox -Identity email@example.com -PSTFolderPath \\Server\pst-folder\source.pst
(For Exchange 2007)
New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox <MailboxName> -FilePath \\ExchangeBackup\PST\MailboxName.PST
(For exchange 2010 and 2013)
Step 3: To check the status of mailbox export request run the following command.
Step 4: After completing the export procedure, cancel the export request task through the following command.
Remove-MailboxExportRequest -Identity <Name of the export request>
Limitations of PowerShell/Exchange Management Shell
- User have to be a technical person or have a good knowledge of EMS cmdlets
- The mailbox which you want to convert should be mounted with Exchange Server
- This utility has no rights to recover lost mailboxes
- Very risky or time taking process
Free Automated solution to convert EDB to PST
The best and the automated solution which has the power to convert EDB to PST with any limitations is Exchange EDB to PST Converter Software. This tool will be the best alternative of PowerShell to make the conversion of EDB file to PST with all its inner elements and mailbox components. By using this Best program user got the ability to make the recovery of lost items of corrupt EDB file and simply transfer them to PST. Apart from PST it also offers various other file options to save Exchange Database like- EML, EMLX, MSG, and HTML. By taking advantage of this free utility user will get the power to Export Exchange database including- E-mails, contacts, chats, tasks, notes, journals, appointments, and other mailbox items.
Steps to convert EDB to PST using eSoftTools EDB to PST Converter Software
- Open The Software
- Hit on the Add file button
- To get EDB file for conversion click on “browse” or “search EDB file” button
- The tool will automatically generates a live preview of all EDB file inner database
- Select the required items from provided data.
- Now choose the destination folder or file format to save the converted file
- Press the Start Export button to start the conversion.
The user which have some extra-ordinary technical skills and able to do the job of exporting mailbox with command languages can use the PowerShell utility but for non-technical or new user we always suggest you to use this third party software name as eSoftTools EDB to PST Converter software. It has offered a clean and impressive GUI which helps user to perform conversion of EDB to PST without any effort or time wasting.
You can also check out some other free methods to Convert EDB to PST from Here:- https://www.esofttools.com/blog/free-diy-methods-to-export-exchange-mailbox-to-pst/