OST file refers to as Offline storage files. These files are an inherent feature of MS Outlook. It takes up a back-up of all data, emails, and other information so that the users can work even in an offline mode. But these files are susceptible to damage due to various reasons. Here, in this article, we will look at the reasons behind OST file corruption and steps to reset OST file in Outlook.
Fix all Outlook OST file related issues through eSoftTools OST to PST Converter Software, and also convert OST to PST, Zimbra, vCard, CSV, MBOX, HTML, Gmail, Office 365, and many more file types.
Reasons why OST file get damaged
Several reasons lead to corruption of the OST file and thus make it inaccessible. Here, we have mentioned the possible reasons behind it
- Sudden power-outrage during OST file synchronization can lead to this problem
- If the user shuts down MS Outlook during the middle of the session.
- Virus or malware attacks
- If the user installs incompatible Outlook add-ins.
How to reset the OST file in different versions of Outlook?
If your Outlook application malfunctioned then the user needs to delete the present OST file and recreate a new file.
Step 1- Delete old OST file
- Exit from Outlook
- Click on Windows + R button and type “%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Outlook\”, now press OK button.
- This command will automatically search OST files available in different versions of Outlook.
- Now, the user has to select and delete the OST file by pressing the delete option.
Step 2- Reset OST file in Outlook
- Launch MS Outlook and click on the file menu and then Info
- Click on the account settings tab and now press Microsoft Exchange
- A setting wizard will appear and from there the user has to go to more settings and click on the advance tab.
- Now, the user has to select the offline folder file setting.
- Search for the location to save Outlook.ost file and then press OK button.
- If you are getting the error “OST file doesn’t exist. Would you like need to recreate it?”, Click ok.
- Hit the exit button and close the application.
Best Method to Re-Access OST file
eSoftTools have launched third-party software like OST file recovery. Through this software, the user can convert the files into several formats.
Here are the outstanding features of the software.
- It saves Outlook OST files into different formats
- It is compatible with the different versions of Outlook and the user can recover the maximum corrupt files
- The user can see a live preview of the file converting process to transfer OST file database with more security.
If the above-mentioned manual methods cannot offer you satisfactory results, you can try our OST recovery software. It is one of the reliable software that helps you to access OST files without any data loss.