OST file helps Outlook users to work in offline mode. It includes emails, contacts, data, and some other information. At a certain point, there is a need to change the OST file location
- In case the Outlook account is deleted
- In case there is a lack of storage space
- There is a server error
- File corruption
- Problem in configuration
Therefore, in this article, we will provide you insight on how to change the location of the OST file in Outlook.
Fastest tool to change OST file location and convert OST to PST
Try eSoftTools OST to PST tool that allows users to save OST mailbox items inlcuding- emails, contacts, chats, task, notes, journals, etc to workable- PST, EML, EMLX, MSG, Zimbra, Office 365 and many more file types
Things to remember during the migration process
There are certain things that the user needs to remember when working with OST file, like
- Synchronization:- The file synchronization will take place when there is an internet connection
- Default Encryption:- Every OST file comes with default encryption and there is no requirement for password protection.
- No simultaneous opening:- Two OST files can never be opened simultaneously.
- Users need to keep in mind its origin point:- An OST file can only be opened that is originated from the MAPI profile.
Manual method of changing OST file location in Outlook
Sometimes the user needs to move the OST file to Outlook urgently. For example, sometimes the user is unable to access the OST file irrespective of different versions of Outlook. In such a case, the user can follow the below-mentioned steps
- Click on Windows+ R button and a run dialog box will open. Then you need to type “Regedit” in the box and press the “ok” button.
- A registry editor will be opened, Now select the key as per the Outlook version.
- Right-Click on the empty space area and click on the new button and then enter the Expandable String Value .
- Create a new value force OST path and enter the location in Value data tab where you want to save OST file. A new default location will be available to Store OST file, now click on the "ok" button,
Limitations of Manual method
- There are chances of data loss
- It may turn out to be a failure after completion of the process.
An alternative solution to change OST file location in Outlook
Keeping in mind that sometimes manual methods may cause corruption issues in the OST file while changing its location. So, a third party application can be of great help! This tool can even convert orphaned OST files in Outlook PST file type. This advanced OST to PST Converter tool offered by eSoftTools can help you to import the OST files into Outlook and access all the email items. Above all, this software is compatible to change the location of the OST file of all MS Outlook versions like- 2019, 2016, 2010,2007, and even the lower version. The user can also download this software for free and check its overall functionality.
Changing the location of OST files is not recommended, as you may face certain technical hiccups. But through this eSoftTools Convert OST to PST Tool you can easily transfer OST files without facing any problem.