Want to take a backup of Gmail account emails to a local drive using Google takeout? Then get complete knowledge by reading this article. Here we will show you, how to use Google Takeout service to download Gmail account emails to computer. Let’s start…
Google takeout is the service that Google offers to users. This service allows users to take a backup of the G-suite application’s data. With Google takeout, users can download data from Gmail, Google Drive, Chrome, Contacts, Calendars, and other google applications.
Easily Google takeout downloads all data of applications that are linked with Gmail accounts like- emails, contacts, calendars, videos, images, and more.
Majorly users use this service to take backup Gmail account emails. Google takeout provides .zip or .tgz files containing MBOX files (with all user’s profile emails). This is a free and easy way to download Gmail account emails.
Also Read: – How to Import Google Takeout into another Google Account?
How to Use Google Takeout to download Gmail account emails to Computer?
- Firstly, open a web browser and visit this link: – https://takeout.google.com/
- Sign in with your Gmail account (from which you want to download emails or other data).
- Select the Mail option or other applications (as per your requirement) and click on Next.
- Now choose an option from the “Transfer to” section (our recommendation is select “send the download link via email”.
- Choose a Frequency option according to your choice- “Export Once” or “Export every 2 months for 1 year”
- Select a file type from the options: – .zip or .tgz and choose a file size for splitting resultant files.
- Lastly, click on Create Export button to start creating a backup of Gmail account emails with Google Takeout.
Now Google Takeout will take its time to create a copy of all email profile data. After completion, users will get an email on their Gmail account with a download link. Simply visit to that link and download your backup files (holding Gmail account emails).
Limitation of Google Takeout: –
- Supports exporting Gmail account emails only in MBOX files.
- Merges all Gmail account mail folders and provide a single MBOX file with all emails.
- Take a long time to provide a download link for downloading backup files.
- First, creates a copy of the data and create a backup file, then share the download link.
Best Alternative to Google Takeout to download Gmail emails
Google Takeout is a free and easy way to take backup of Gmail account emails, but this method has several limitations. As a result, the best option is to use an alternative to this method like- eSoftTools Gmail Email Backup Software.
This automatic tool will assist you to download Gmail account directly without any delay. It provides saving Gmail account emails in MBOX files. In addition to MBOX, it also provides 8+ other saving options. Also, this tool has several advanced functions to perform the Gmail email backup process with complete security and ease.
How to Download Gmail account emails with Gmail Backup Software?
Apply these below-given steps to take a backup of Gmail account emails, in a direct manner: –
- Download and launch eSoftTools Gmail Backup software.
- Input your Gmail account email address and Google Third-party app password.
- After adding Gmail account details, click on the Login button.
- The software will now start loading all mail folders from the Gmail account.
- Choose the required folders from the list of Gmail account mail folders.
- Select an Export option- MBOX, PDF, EML, EMLX, MSG, HTML, MHTML, PST, and Thunderbird.
- Hit the Browse button and choose a location for saving the downloaded files.
- Use naming convention and mail filtering options, and press the Save Backup button.
The software will now start the Gmail email download process and provides you the instant results for the email backup process.
Key features of eSoftTools Gmail Email Backup Software: –
- Directly export emails from Gmail account to computer/hard drive.
- Provides a variety of file formats for saving Gmail account emails including- PST, MBOX, EML, EMLX, MSG, HTML, MHTML, PDF, and Thunderbird mail files.
- Provides two distinct options for saving Gmail account emails in MBOX files.
- Single MBOX: – Create a single MBOX file to preserve all emails of selected Gmail account mail folders.
- Separate MBOX: – Generates separate MBOX file for saving each Gmail account’s mail folder separately.
- Saves Gmail emails separately in email files- MSG, EMLX, EML, HTML, MHTML, and PDF.
- Export complete Gmail account mailbox as well as selected folders to Outlook PST files.
- Directly moves Gmail account mail folders to Thunderbird profile default storage location on the user’s desktop.
- Provide additional smart options like- Mail Filtering and Naming convention options.
- Supports saving resultant/backup files to locations defined by users.
- Works without any additional software requirement or dependency.
- Only needs Gmail account details for performing the email backup process.
- Accessible on all editions of windows including- windows 11, 10, 8.1, 8, 7, XP, Vista, and below editions.
- Available with a demo edition facility to download up to 20 emails from each Gmail account mail folder with no charges.
Google takeout is a method to take a backup of Gmail account’s data to local drive. Through this article, we have shown how to use Google Takeout to download Gmail account emails. Also, we have provided the best alternative to Google Takeout. Now take the help of the above-mentioned methods and easily take Gmail email backup to hard drive.