- Users Queries
- Distinguishments between Lotus Notes and MS Outlook
Do you want to open the Lotus Notes Archive database in MS Outlook? Here, I will show you a perfect way to open Lotus Notes Archive files in Outlook through the best NSF to PST Converter Software because there was no direct option to open archived NSF files to MS Outlook. Both Lotus Notes and MS Outlook require different file types for opening and viewing the content of databases. In this blog, you will learn the distinctions between Lotus Notes NSF and MS Outlook and two approaches to how to open NSF files in Outlook with just a few clicks of the mouse. The first approach we discuss is manual steps, and the second approach is through professional NSF to PST Converter software.
|Query 1. I want to migrate NSF files in Microsoft Outlook because I have archived NSF files from my previous company. As we know, Lotus Notes is not a free email client, and the configuration is also a complex procedure. I do not know the complete steps of Lotus Notes configuration; that’s why I need to move on with MS Outlook. I know very well that MS Outlook does not support archived NSF files; that’s why I want to migrate NSF file to PST and then open it with Outlook. Do you know the steps or any application that fulfills my requirements? Please let me know.
|Query 2. I shifted all my emailing platforms from Lotus Notes to Outlook a year ago. Before doing the shifting, I archived all my NSF files for backup purposes. Today, I want to access a few of my archived NSF files, but I do not have Lotus Notes anymore. That’s why I am looking for a way to open archived NSF files in Outlook. Do you have any such solutions for that?
Distinguishments between Lotus Notes and MS Outlook
Lotus Notes NSF (Notes Storage Facility) is a file format that is associated with IBM and HCL Lotus Notes, a Popular email Client that is used to manage and organize email data, etc. Lotus Notes stores email messages, contacts lists, calendar items, to-do lists, and notes items in a popular format NSF file whereas MS Outlook stores the data in a PST file format. Look at the below Mentioned few parameters that make both IBM/ HCL Lotus Notes and Microsoft Outlook dissimilar from each other.
- Storage file extension: Both email Client has their own file extension that is used to store email messages and other items. Lotus Notes uses an NSF file extension and MS Outlook uses a PST file extension.
- User Interface: Outlook is better than Lotus Notes in this matter, Outlook has an intuitive User Interface on the other hand Lotus Notes has a pretty complex User Interface for novice users.
- Easy to use: Outlook has a user-friendly interface that allows users to set up accounts in an easy way and operate without any hindrance.
- Lotus Notes needs technical understanding: Users should have the technical understanding to run Lotus Notes to open, read email, and manage emails.
- Add-ons feature: NSF lacks support for add-ons on the other side Outlook provides the feature to users for more customization.
- Platform dependency: Outlook PST files are easily accessed by any computer with any version of MS Outlook whereas NSF files are opened by the computer where it is created.
Why do Users want to open NSF files in Outlook?
- Sometimes users want to access NSF data on another desktop that has Microsoft Outlook.
- There can be Migration purposes when users want to switch their primary email reader software from Lotus Notes to Outlook.
- Users frequently desire to have a user-friendly GUI(Graphical User Interface).
- Users can configure more than one account at a single time in Outlook.
- Outlook is budget-friendly which makes it an adaptable email Client, Lotus Notes is an expensive option for users.
- Mostly users copied the NSF file from the computer and when they needed to access it, they needed to migrate it into a PST file for Outlook.
How to open Lotus Notes Archive files in Outlook?
To open Lotus Notes Archive files in Outlook, Users need to change the file extension of Lotus Notes through the best techniques. Because Outlook understands only the PST file extension and does not support nsf. file extension directly. Now we understand both email clients have their own file types for managing databases. So, here I have described the best manual approaches and professional tools to complete the migration from archived NSF to PST files.
Manual Approach to Migrate Archived NSF file to PST Outlook
Two steps in the manual method are needed to be performed by users to open an NSF file in Outlook. First is creating an Excel CSV file and the second is Importing the CSV to Outlook. Both are mentioned below as follows but before proceeding with this manual method, You ought to take the backup of your NSF file because this method is a bit risky for users and there are higher chances of NSF database corruption.
- First, open Lotus Notes and open the NSF file.
- Tap on the File and click on the Export option.
- Select the CSV(comma-separated value) from the list.
- Select the location where you need to save the output CSV file.
- After that, you will see the dialog box down below, select the options as displayed in the image.
- Tap on the OK button.
The first step is completed, let us move on second step, In the second step, we will import the data into the MS Outlook email reader. follow the steps below.
- Open the Microsoft Outlook
- Click on File > Open & Export > Import/Export option.
- Choose the option import from another program or file from the Import and Export Wizard option.
- Choose the Comma-separated values (CSV) and click on the next button
- Browse the CSV file that was created by you in the first step and click on the next button.
- Select the location where you need to import the NSF file and click on the finish button.
Professional Approach – Suitable and Risk-free NSF to PST Migration
Now, I will go through the risk-free migration by using eSoftTools NSF to PST Conversion Software. This software support all version of Lotus Notes NSF files to open and give a proper view of each item. The tool has a simple user interface and has fewer mouse clicks to open the largest NSF files (archived) in just a few seconds. The software also provides a preview of items such as email messages, to-do items, notes, calendars, and contacts to the user for satisfaction.
Below, we will mention all the necessary steps to be taken by the user to perform the NSF to PST migration without losing any single item.
- Download eSoftTools NSF to PST Converter Software from eSoftTools Software Official website.
- Open the software and click on the Select NSF button from the software toolbar.
- Select one NSF file through the “Single file conversion” option or add more than one NSF file through the “Bulk File Conversion” option.
- Click on the “Start Scanning” button.
- Preview the Mail folders from the added Lotus Notes NSF file. You can select desired folders from the Mail folder preview Panel for importing into PST file format.
- Click on the Convert button and then you need to choose the conversion option by giving multiple options.
- Select the conversion option “Export to PST” and proceed with the conversion.
- Provide a saving location for the output file by clicking on the Browse button and finally clicking on the Convert button to start the migration process.
- The software will take a few minutes to complete the migration from archived NSF to PST file and prompt you with a confirmation dialog.
Also Read:- How to Migrate Lotus Notes to Office 365?
Sometimes users need to open NSF files in Microsoft Outlook. When they attempt to open directly, they are denied because the file extension of Lotus NSF is not supported by Microsoft Outlook, looking at this obstacle, we have given two ways of solving this issue, first manually and second with the support of NSF to PST Converter Software In this blog, I hope this article is helpful for you and granted all the answers what you have.