If you want to extract attachments from MBOX files, you’ve come to the right place. Without any doubt, read this blog where we will discuss reliable methods for extracting attachments from MBOX files that can be followed without difficulty.
Users can save thousands of e-mail messages in a single MBOX format. It’s adaptable and compact, which means you can share and access it from a variety of platforms and devices. But, because of sending and receiving emails on a regular basis, the MBOX file size continues to grow. The attached files contained in e-mails are a significant reason for the increase in the size of MBOX file. The attached files may contain data that will take up a lot of space. Because of this users needs to Extract attachments from MBOX files.
How to Extract Attachments from MBOX Files
Method 1:- Use Thunderbird Attachment Extractor Add-On
Mozilla Thunderbird offers a free add-on that allows users to export attachments from MBOX files.
- To begin, download the Thunderbird Attachment Extractor plug-in from Mozilla Thunderbird’s official website at:-
- Open Thunderbird alication and select Add-ons.
- Then, click on the Gear icon and select the option Install Add-on from Disk..
- Select the Thunderbird Attachment Extractor XPI file and start the installation process by clicking the Install Now button.
- After the installation process is complete, restart the Thunderbird Application on your computer.
- Select the email folders and right-click on it and select the option Extract All Attachments to…, then click on Browse to select a location to save the MBOX attachments.
- After they have been successfully saved in the destination location. You can access the resulted attachments without any problem.
Limitation of Thunderbird Attachment Extractor Add-On
- It’s just for Thunderbird, so it won’t work with other MBOX-compatible email clients.
- This plug-in is not compatible with the newer versions of Thunderbird (60+).
- Extracting attachments from MBOX files in bulk is not possible with this thunderbird plugin.
Method 2:- Best Solution to Extract attachments from MBOX files
You must first download and install the eSoftTools MBOX Converter Software before proceeding. You may use this method to remove all attachments from an MBOX file. The tool has the easiest user interface, making it easier to use for all types of users. To Extract attachments from MBOX file, simply follow these easy steps:-
- Install and Open the eSoftTools MBOX converter on your machine.
- Select the Add file/folder button to add MBOX files or a folder containing MBOX files.
- After this, a new window will appear on the software screen. From there you need to select the option as per your requirement to add MBOX files.
- Now the software will show you all the emails folder on the left panel. Choose the Mailbox folders from which you want to extract attachments and press the convert MBOX button.
- Select the HTML file option from the next opened window. Select the naming convention as per your need and provide a destination path to save the extracted attachments.
- Press the Convert button and check the analyze the software working process.
- After completing the conversion, the software will automatically generate a new folder for all of the MBOX file’s attachments.
To remove attachments from a Thunderbird MBOX file, a user use the add-on, which is mentioned above. Aside from that, this add-on can only extract Thunderbird MBOX attachments from a selected few versions of Thunderbird. As a result, it is better to use an automated tool that allows a user to extract attachments from MBOX file of any email program without losing any data.